Postgraduate Diploma in Archival Studies (PDAS)
The program is jointly organized by: EASTICA and the School of Professional and Continuing Education (SPACE) of the University of Hong Kong.
The course aims to : Training students to become professional archivists by providing them with a broad and enriched learning experience covering a full spectrum of principles and methodology in managing records and archives throughout their life-cycle and in setting up and managing an archival institution.
- On completion of the programme, students should be able to
- Apply the techniques to set up an archive and manage records in an office setting
- Analyse the issues, methods and problems in managing office documents and business records
- Synthesise the major concepts of archives especially in areas of acquisition, description and dissemination
- Evaluate the impact of globalization on records and archives management
- Identify the major records-related laws and apply the knowledge to review legal issues relating to archival operation
- Apply the theories and practices in performing archival functions
- Apply conceptual models in preserving digital archives
- It is a 12-months part time programme consisting of 13 core modules.
- Students must satisfy the following criteria:
- Achieve 75% attendance
- Pass the required continuous assessment and examination of all module
|Core Modules||Contact Hours|
|Archives and Archivist: Fundamentals of Archives Management and Role of an Archivist||42|
|Records in Office System: Management of Records throughout Their Life Cycle||18|
|Appraisal and Acquisition||18|
|Arrangement and Description||30|
|Management of Electronic Records and Archives Automation||18|
|Setting Up and Managing An Archives||18|
|Managing Current Records||18|
|Globalisation and Memory of the World||18|
|Legal Issues in Archives and Records Management||18|
|Advanced Appraisal, Arrangement and Description||30|
- Applicants shall hold a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized university.
- If the degree or equivalent qualification is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English, applicants shall provide evidence of English proficiency such as :
- an overall band of 6.0 with no subtests lower than 5.5 in the IELTS; or
- a score of 550 in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 213 in the computer- based TOEFL, or a score of 80 in the internet-based TOEFL; or
- HKALE Use of English at Grade E or above; or
- HKDSE Examination English Language at Level 3 or above; or
- equivalent qualifications.
- Preference will be given to those who have work experience in record-keeping, management of archives or library services.
- Applicants with other qualifications and relevant work experience will be considered on individual merit.
- Application FeeHK$150 HK$150 (Non-refundable)
- Course FeeHK$36,000
Apply & Enquiries