Constitution of the East Asian Regional Branch of the International Council on Archives
- Constitution of EASTICA as adopted at the Inaugural Conference in Beijing on 7-10 July 1993, and as amended by
- The Extraordinary Session of General Conference in Suzhou, China on 22 September 1998
- The Extraordinary Session of General Conference in Macao on 4 December 2002
- The 6th General Conference in Hangzhou, China
The name of this Organization shall be the East Asian Regional Branch of the International Council on Archives (EASTICA).
Ⅱ. Objectives and Functions
- The purpose of EASTICA shall be to carry out the general objectives of the International Council on Archives, and to :
- Establish, maintain and strengthen relations between archivists of the region and between all institutions, professional bodies and organizations which are concerned with the custody and administration of archives
- Take all measures for the preservation, protection and defence against all hazards of the archival heritage of the region and to further the progress of all aspects of the administration and preservation of these archives
- Facilitate the use of archives in the region by providing information, by making them more widely known and by encouraging greater ease of access
- Promote, organize and coordinate activities in the field of archives in the region
- Sponsor professional training of archivists in the regio
- Cooperate with other organizations or institutions concerned with the documentation of human experience and the use of that documentation for the benefit of mankind
- Organize seminars, symposia and other meetings, on specific themes of mutual interest to the members in the region
- Membership, which is confined to the countries and territories in East Asia, is divided into the following five categories
- Category A : national/territorial archives directorates
- Category B : national/territorial associations of archivists
- Category C : Institutions concerned with the administration or preservation of records and archives, or with the professional training of archivists
- Category D : Individual members: present or past staff members of any archival institution, service or training centers
- Category E : Honorary Members: Nationals of East Asia who have made outstanding contributions in the archival field or who have rendered significant service to the archives profession may be elected as Honorary Members of EASTICA by the Executive Board.
- Voting members of EASTICA suspended from the exercise of the rights and privileges of Category A or B membership of the International Council on Archives shall, upon the request of the latter, be suspended from the rights and privileges of EASTICA.
- Any member may withdraw from EASTICA by written notice addressed to the Chairman. Such notice shall take effect on 31st December of the year during which notice is given. Such withdrawal shall not adversely affect the financial obligations owed to EASTICA on the date withdrawal takes effect.
- Honorary Members shall be nominated and elected by the Executive Board and the award shall be made in the General Conference.
- Any ICA members outside the East Asian Region can become members of EASTICA subject to the agreement of the Executive Board as stipulated in Section VII. 6 and provided that no members of ICA may serve simultaneously on the steering body of two regional branches.
- Membership dues shall be determined by the General Conference.
- No dues shall be paid by Honorary Members.
EASTICA shall include a General Conference, an Executive Board and a Secretariat. The Executive Board may establish professional committees as required by the program of EASTICA.
- Composition : All members have the right to attend the General Conference of EASTICA.
- The General Conference shall determine the policies and activities of EASTICA. It shall take decisions on program submitted to it by the Executive Board.
- The General Conference shall receive and consider the reports submitted periodically by members as requested by the Executive Board.
- Any member has the right to submit proposals to the General Conference through the Executive Board.
- The General Conference shall elect members of the Executive Board and on the recommendation of the Board, shall appoint the Chairman.
- Quorum : The presence of a majority of the voting members (Categories A and B) at the General Conference shall constitute a quorum
- National/territorial archives directorates shall have two votes in the General Conference. Each national/territorial association of archivists shall have one vote. In any country there is more than one member in Category B, a second vote will be allocated. It is the responsibility of members of Category B to establish procedures for agreeing the appointment of the two delegates to exercise their votes. Decisions shall be made by a simple majority of the members present and voting.
- The General Conference may prevent a member from voting if dues are one year in the arrears.
- The General Conference shall meet in ordinary session biennially. It may meet in extraordinary session, if it decides to do so, or if summoned by the Executive Board, or on the demand of at least two-thirds of the voting members.
- At each General Conference the venue of its next meeting shall be designated. The venue of an extraordinary session, unless pre-designated by the General Conference, shall be decided by the Executive Board
- Observers : The General Conference, on the recommendation of the Executive Board, may invite or admit as observers at specified sessions of the conference, representatives of international organizations, other state governments, archives organizations or institutions and individuals. Observers shall not have the right to vote.
VII. Executive Board
- The Executive Board shall be elected by the General Conference from among the delegates appointed by the voting members. It shall consist of a Chairman, a Vice-Chairman, a Secretary General and a Treasurer, and as many other members as considered necessary.
- Members of the Executive Board shall serve from the closing of the session of the General Conference which elected them for four years. The incumbent officers, with the exception of the Secretary General and the Treasurer, shall be eligible for re-election to the same office, but shall not serve consecutively for more than two terms in the same office. The Secretary General and the Treasurer may be re-elected consecutively for more than two terms in the same office.
- In the event of the death or resignation of a member of the Executive Board, the vacancy for the remainder of that term shall be filled by appointment of the Executive Board after consultation with and upon the recommendation of the organization represented by the member.
- The Executive Board shall prepare the agenda for the General Conference and shall recommend the work program and corresponding budget estimates.
- The Executive Board shall be responsible for carrying out the program adopted by the General Conference.
- The Executive Board shall approve the admission of new members to EASTICA.
- Subject to decisions of the General Conference, the Executive Board shall adopt its own rules of procedures, and shall have the power to make rules and regulations governing the procedures for the conduct of the General Conference.
- The Executive Board shall meet in regular session at least once a year and may meet in special session if called by the Chairman on his own initiative or upon the request of the majority members of the Executive Board.
- The Executive Board shall send a report on its activities since the last General Assembly of the International Council on Archives to reach the Secretary General of the International Council on Archives three months before the date fixed for the next General Assembly.
- Members of the Executive Board shall exercise the powers delegated to them by the General Conference on behalf of EASTICA as a whole.
- Quorum : The presence of two-thirds of the members at the meeting of the Executive Board shall constitute a quorum.
- The Secretariat shall consist of such staff as may be required. Its location shall be decided by the General Conference.
- The Secretary General shall act as the executive head of the Secretariat, and shall be responsible to the Chairman and the Executive Board.
- The Secretariat shall administer and be the custodian of all the properties of EASTICA.
- The Executive Board shall approve and give final effect to the budget and shall apportion the financial obligations of members of EASTICA.
- The Treasurer, with the approval of the Executive Board, may receive any donations, gifts, bequests and subventions directly from international and other organizations, foundations, institutions and associations or from individuals.
- The Treasurer shall present to the Executive Board an annual statement of accounts, copies of which shall be furnished to voting members of EASTICA.
- The Treasurer shall present a financial report to the General Conference.
- EASTICA shall publish an archives journal or newsletter at least once a year.
- The Executive Board shall appoint an editor who may or not be a member of the Executive Board. The editor may appoint and be assisted by an editorial committee.
XI. Relations with the International Council on Archives
- EASTICA shall work in close collaboration with the International Council on Archives and its organs in the pursuit of their common aims and objectives.
- EASTICA shall represent the International Council on Archives in the region.
- EASTICA shall invite the President of the International Council on Archives to attend the meetings of the Executive Board and the General Conference.
Proposals for amendments to this Constitution shall become effective upon receiving the approval of the General Conference by a two-thirds majority. The draft texts of proposed amendments shall be communicated by the Secretary General to the national/territorial members at least three months in advance for consideration by the General Conference.
- The English text of this Constitution shall be regarded as authoritative.
- Any question or dispute concerning the interpretation of this Constitution shall be determined by the EASTICA General Conference under its adopted rules of procedure.